Friday 16 July 2010

July 15 - Day 20 - Lima

Morrison Lake to Lima, MT, -35 miles 11.6 mph




Today we head out from Morrison Lake to Lima. We were hoping for a nice downhill ride from our 8000 ft campsite at Morrison lake to Lima (6240 ft) we were rewarded with a long slightly downhill crunchy gravel road- good condition with a ten mile run through desert sage and spectacular mountain peaks at 9000 ft.

The winds were almost non-existent this day (to my relief) we were cruising at 11.6 mph up and down. We eventually hit the big sheep byway - spectacular scenery!



This area boasted rock formation with caves everywhere.

 I'd love to come back and explore this area.  It's all Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land and you can camp anywhere.















 


the weather was beautiful and we made great time to Lima.

This is when the support crew passed us on our way to Lima today:



We ate at a restaurant/bar called Peat where you cook your own meat on a grill. I cooked for everyone - they supplied the salad and potatoes and raw meat for a good price.  They've got good beef here; I can say that for sure.










 



This is the end of the line for me. Its been a great time riding, I'm glad I got the opportunity to experience the back roads of Montana. It's a beautiful state. I know I'll be back.

Good luck to my two friends Susan and Matt. I had a great experience, and I thank them both for letting me ride along and be a part of the team!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you guys took well deserved break. Unbelievable scenery, i'm sure the pictures don't do it justice. it looks like you guys found the only "Hoot and Holler" in town, good eats i'm sure.

    You go Jules! You survived! What an experience, outside of the makeshift poopers, I think I would be great time. A good bike tour is now on my bucket list...Ha

    anyway...miss you guys...take it slow

    Bri

    ReplyDelete